9/16-Time Visual Art Teacher (3D Focus)
Expected Beginning Date: August 2017
The Visual Art teacher will teach 1 UC-approved, year-long 3D Art class, and 5 quarters of a 9th grade introductory visual art class that includes drawing and ceramics. Depending on future departmental needs and changes, the teacher may also be asked to design and teach additional visual art and/or interdisciplinary courses.
The equipment in the 3D classroom includes: electric kiln, 8 potter’s wheels and a good selection of glazes/underglazes, power wood shop equipment, small metal soldering equipment, casting materials, stained glass equipment and a wide selection of glass. Equipment in other locations includes: welding equipment, 3D printers, laser cutter printer, metal mill and metal lathe.
This 9/16-time FTE position qualifies for partial benefits and requires some co-curricular duties.
The Art Department is also hiring for a Theater Tech position. There is some potential overlap and flexibility with these two positions. We are open to hiring one full-time qualified Theater Production Teacher/3D Art teacher. Please see job description for 3D Visual Art teacher, and indicate your interest in both positions when you contact the school.
- BA with emphasis or coursework in one of the following areas: sculpture, intermedia, installation, metal art, fiber art, ceramics, etc.
- Experience working with high school-age students
- Ability to collaborate with a small art department
- Comfort working in a digital educational environment
- Basic skills in ceramics
- Demonstrated commitment to education for democracy, justice, equity, inclusion, community service, and environmental stewardship
- Minimum 3 years of recent experience teaching visual art
- Professional experience as an artist
- Experience with 3D media: ceramics, woodworking, metalsmithing
- Experience with Maker tools including 3D printers, arduinos, and 3D modeling programs
- BFA, MFA, or teaching credential in art
- Ability and interest in teaching art courses outside of 3D media
- Understanding of independent schools
Please send letter of interest, current resume, link to your digital portfolio, and three references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address letter of interest to Dick Bradford, Head of Upper School.