3/4-Time Spanish Teacher
Expected Beginning Date: August 2018
Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Athenian Middle School is seeking a part-time Spanish Teacher to teach three sections of Middle School Spanish and one Middle School elective per trimester. All aspects of the Spanish curriculum are covered: literature, written and oral expression, grammar, mechanics, and cross-curricular projects. Athenian Middle School teachers are student advisors and also teach a percentage of Focus Days commensurate with their teaching percentage. Candidate assumes all duties of a Middle School teacher.
- Plan and teach three sections of Middle School Spanish
- Coordinate curriculum and Focus Days with language team
- Implement advisory curriculum and maintain strong relationships with advisees
- All teachers perform standard faculty responsibilities including:
- Attend weekly faculty meetings and participate in extra duties such as orientation, Open House, Middle School socials and interim trips
- Communicate with parents and outside professionals regarding individual students as needed
- Prepare progress reports, term grades, and conference notes
- Bachelor's degree
- Three years of teaching experience
- Native or near-native fluency in Spanish
- Extensive knowledge and experience of the diverse cultures of Latin America and Spain
- A passion for working with adolescents
- Experience and familiarity with technology as a tool in teaching Spanish
- Commitment to collaboration and interdisciplinary teaching
- Demonstrated commitment to education for democracy, justice, equity, inclusion, community service, and environmental stewardship
- Master’s degree
- Teaching Certificate
- Extensive experience with project-based and experiential education
Please send letter of interest, current resume, and three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Address your letter of interest to: Lauren Railey, Middle School Head. Please also include the particular source through which you learned about this position: Job search website (which one?), professional referral organization (which one?), Athenian website, etc.